For Mac users.
The application "Google Drive" is end-of-life and must be replaced with Google's application "Backup and Sync".
Google's storage service "Google Drive" will not go away and will continue to work as before.
Here's how you change to from Google Drive to Backup and Sync:
- Quit the Google Drive application by clicking the Google Drive symbol in the status bar and the three vertical dots. If you can't see the Google Drive symbol anywhere in the status bar, skip this step.
- Download the application "Backup and Sync" from https://www.google.com/drive/download/backup-and-sync/. Once you agree to the terms and conditions, the download will start.
- Open the downloaded DMG file by double clicking it in the Downloads folder. It may also open by itself.
- In the window that opens, drag and drop the application icon to the "Applications" folder that is displayed. Wait until the file copy progress bar is finished.
- Close the window "Install Backup and Sync from Google". You can also safely eject the disk volume "Install Backup and Sync from Google" from the desktop by dragging it to trash. You can also right-click on it and select "Eject".
- Open the Applications folder in Finder and double click on the application "Backup and Sync from Google".There should be a shortcut to the Applications folder in the left sidebar in all Finder windows.
- The new app will now start and prompt you to open its preferences. You can safely ignore this and click "Got it" instead:
- Backup and Sync will now do an initial comparison of your local sync folder and your cloud storage and sync any changes. This will take a few minutes,
Note: if you had custom sync settings, typically settings under "Sync only these folders ...", they will be kept. The Backup and Sync application will also update itself as needed.